MARVILLE VIRTUAL SCHOOL
We are the new Maryville City virtual school, opening for the 2022-2023 school year! We are “blazing our own path to excellence”!
MARYVILLE VIRTUAL SCHOOL (MVS) is a K-12 school where students predominantly learn asynchronously from home. This is not a re-packaging of the MCS COVID "digital" instruction where students Zoomed with teachers for instruction. MVS is a true virtual school with on-line curriculum and instruction with weekly assignments that can be completed on the student's own schedule. K-1 students will physically come to school for one half-day session each week and may attend some Zoomed small group lessons as well.
Teachers will support student learning through videoed instruction, assignment feedback, email, and video-conferencing, as needed. At the MVS school building, we will have areas set up for students to receive in-person support and tutoring, as well as an assessment center for any mandatory on-site testing.
Maryville Virtual School Comprehensive Framework
Maryville Virtual School is a division of Maryville City Schools designed to provide a rigorous and engaging digital pathway for non-traditional K-12 students in the city of Maryville. The digital school employs full-time and part-time digital teachers to create course content and strategically select digital materials and resources to provide limitless learning opportunities to the students we serve.
- TN State Standards Alignment
- Predominantly asynchronous instruction
- Opportunities for synchronous instruction, small group collaboration, and individualized support
- Direct instruction to include recorded and live videos, adaptive digital learning tools, and virtual programming solutions delivered through a learning management system.
- Materials and resources to include lessons developed by Maryville teachers and software solutions.
- Engaging practice sets with built-in corrective and immediate academic feedback
- Academic Support Center providing onsite re-teaching and support occurs
- Teacher Virtual Office Hours for consultation and support, ties are course-specific and could be outside of regular school hours
- Tiered Interventions, Special Education and ELL support provided
- Expected onsite support for one half day for K-1 grade students and for all other grades as deemed necessary for academic or engagement support
- K-8 Specials practice provided, including PE, music, and art
- 9-12 Elective Focus Areas include AP, DE, Humanities, and CTE
- Maryville Virtual School diploma earned with 27 high school credits (same number as MHS)
- Course offerings are responsive to student need, when possible
Culture and Climate
- Parental/family guidance and participation welcomed
- Willingness to effectively partner with Home School Families
- Family Engagement encouraged with opportunities for family events and parent conferences
- Community Engagement through service learning projects and volunteer work
- MVS extra-curricular opportunities all inclusive, not with onsite schools
- TSSAA and TMSAA sports participation at zoned schools, if all criteria are met
Assessments and Monitoring
- Student monitoring and management to ensure academic progress and growth
- Administration of all state required testing on-site at Maryville Virtual School
- Possible other required benchmarks or course assessments on-site at MVS (varies by course and grade level)
- Report card schedule will follow the MCS schools
- Certified TN teachers will monitor and manage instructional progress
- Will follow the MCS calendar
- Annual school fees will be $45 for all grades
- Teacher/pupil ratio same as onsite schools
- Enrollment in MVS is a year-long commitment, currently for Maryville City residents only
- Criteria for continued enrollment and levels of increasing academic and engagement support in handbook
- Device will be provided to each student through the MCS iReach initiative, including WIFI hot spots for families with need (with $40 user charger or approved scholarship)
- Administrative offices and service space for families at the retired Fort Craig building
- No additional charge for virtual school enrollment for Maryville residents
- Daily attendance based on productivity, engagement, and assignments (or physical attendance on K-1 half days)